CALL FOR PROPOSALS
AMERICAN NIGHTMARES: THE INAUGURAL SYMPOSIUM OF THE SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF THE AMERICAN GOTHIC
March 21st – 23rd, 2024
Conference director: Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock, Central Michigan University
With the kind support of the American Literature Association
Proposals for individual papers, 3- or 4-person paper sessions, and 5-person roundtable sessions are solicited for AMERICAN NIGHTMARES: the inaugural symposium of the Society for the Study of the American Gothic.
This intimate event will be held at the iconic and charming Hawthorne Hotel in the heart of Salem, Massachusetts (a hotel ranked as among the most haunted hotels in America!) Author Paul Tremblay will deliver a keynote reading.
Proposals are welcome on all aspects of the American Gothic, including literature, film, television, gaming, music, podcasts, and new media. Proposals on keynote author Paul Tremblay are particularly welcome.
- Proposals for individual papers should be 200 words and include an abbreviated CV indicating academic affiliation and relevant publications, presentations, teaching, and/or research related to the topic of the presentation.
- Proposals for 3- or 4-person paper sessions should include abstracts and abbreviated CVs for each participant.
- Proposals for 5-person roundtables should explain the focus of the roundtable, identify the contribution of each participant, and provide abbreviated CVs for all involved.
- Proposals and questions may be directed to the conference director, Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock, at [email protected]. Please note: due to space constraints, this will be a relatively small event and audio-visual support will be limited
- THE DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS is October 31st, 2023.
Current plans call for an opening event on Thursday evening, March 21; full sessions and a keynote talk on Friday (9am-6pm); and sessions on Saturday from 9 am until 3:30 with a closing reception. Registration for the event will be $250 USD and will include two breakfasts at the hotel, two lunches at the hotel, a Friday evening reception, and a Saturday afternoon reception. (Meals and the receptions are available to all who register, regardless of whether or not you choose to stay at the hotel). A tour of “haunted Salem” will be available as an add-on.
Additional information about the Symposium and registration as it becomes available will be available on the SSAG website at http://www.americangothicsociety.com. Interested parties are invited to join the SSAG facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/americangothicsociety.